Find Me...

Contact Twitter Goodreads Pinterest Facebook Rss Feed

Ratings

My Ratings Guide
Powered by Blogger.
Monday 29 February 2016

The Selection by Kiera Cass ~ Review


The Selection

by Kiera Cass

Website | GoodreadsTwitter

Series: The Selection #1
Released: April 24, 2012
Format: Audiobook
Publisher: Harper Audio
Narrator: Amy Rubinate
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia



For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

~ Review ~  


The Selection initially caught my attention soon after it's release because of it's beautiful cover, I just love covers with beautiful dresses! However, with so many newly released books constantly flooding the blogosphere I haven't gotten the chance to read this until now. I borrowed the audiobook from my library and I am so glad as I just loved this book! 

America Singer lives in a somewhat dystopian world where the society is based on a caste-system. The lowest being 8s mostly destitute and homeless, and 1s being royalties, the Singers are 5s, they are Musicians, Artists and Performers, and despite not being in the lowest castes they still found great difficulty in making ends meet. So when The Selection was announced, a lottery of 35 women chosen to compete for the Prince's heart, America's Mother was more than ecstatic to finally show to the world how important her America is, however, America doesn't feel the same enthusiasm. After much debate, tears, and fights America decides to enter the lottery, fairly certain that she would never get picked...if she only knew. 

The story is great, and unlike many dystopian novels I enjoyed the fact that Cass provides the readers with an explanation as to how the world came to be the way it is and why there is a "selection" process. Kiera really put a lot of thought into the history and background of her story, this I truly appreciate. 

The characters are fantastic and I truly felt like I was within the pages of its story, watching people I actually know. They were built and created very well that I could see them in person as if they were acting the scenes in front of me, this is how Kiera Cass made me feel with The Selection. 

The writing was well done, Kiera introduces snippets of little information in which you can grasp and later through the book be like "ah...that's when it started happening" or "oh...that's why this happened" and I truly love that because you can see that the writer didn't simply write away, you can tell the writer really constructed the story and did it well. 

I enjoyed this novel so much that I swiftly picked up The Elite straight after and currently reading The One. I cannot wait to continue the entire series, so please stay tuned for the rest of the series reviews. 



0 comments:

Search

Follow Me

Follow on Bloglovin
Button for Paperback Princess

© Paperback Princess | Blog Design by Sarah Bryan | Digital Scrapbooking kits used: Once Upon a Time by Indigo Designs and Enchanted Neighborhood by Irene Alexeeva.